1.11.15

SPRUE CUTTERS UNION #36 – LET'S TALK SCALE

SPRUE CUTTERS UNION 36 – LET'S TALK SCALE
POLAR LIGHTS 1/350 REFIT AND A LITTLE MAN FOR SCALE




My thoughts on scale is an easy one and to quote Jeremy Clarkson: "...the bigger, the better". It's not a very logical decision considering I live in a small apartment with barely any space on the shelves, less alone the storage space to store the kit boxes. In all honesty, I can't say I have the time needed to build even a small fraction of the ever looming pile of kits I've accrued over the years. None the less, I'm sticking to my guns... the bigger the scale, the better. And that's probably why I have five 1/350 scale USS Enterprises kits by Polar Lights, which are over three feet long when completed. A glance over my stash will reveal a handful of gorgeous Tamiya 1/32 airplane kits too and a REVELL 1/12 Shelby GT500.

‘the bigger, the better

But like most of us, at times it's more the budget restricting me from buying all those premium low-run large scale kits that make me drool such as those studio-scale sci-fi resin kits by Sovereign Replicas & NICE-N Model Designs or the gorgeous 1/12 multi-media race car offerings by Hiroboy. Though the budget can stretch to those large-scale offerings mentioned earlier by Polar Lights, Tamiya and Revell.

‘at times it's more the budget restricting me

I'll admit that it's the ‘inner kid’ that gets the better of me and I get giddy just thinking of having a completed large-scale replica of the Refit Enterprise or that 1/12 GT500 mustang in my collection. The shear size of them and the extra level of detail that each could receive never fails to put a smile on my face! As for the Refit E, having a fairly respectable model kit out of the box where it's possible to achieve levels of detail that make it near studio scale worthy, well it puts a childish grin on my stupid face. 

‘it puts a childish grin on my stupid face

I think the larger scale resonates with me too because when growing up, getting a kit by the 'big T', let alone one of the larger scales kits was completely out of reach. Now, if Tamiya 
release
s a new 1/32 plane kit, I can stretch the wallet and add one of these kits to the to build club. Not to mention, walking out of the store with that big-ass box makes me feel like a kid again. 

Sometimes being an adult can have it's advantages :)

_pL




Check out the SPRUE CUTTERS UNION facebook page to learn more about the union and other write-ups by fellow modellers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment